Tuesday, April 14, 2009

post#2

The most important thing in my family was always education. My parents were always telling me that I need to get college degree to be respected by others. I think they were right. I was a member of the community where everybody's main goal was getting a higher degree. It was obvious for my parents and all their friends that their children would go to college just after finishing high school. I was planning to be a medical doctor or lawyer just to satisfy my parents. But that was before. Today I live in New York among people who mostly care about money. I do not think that this is better or worse than my parents' idea of life, I think it is just different. Thinking only about material goods is maybe not very ambitious but it is not bad either. In the community I belong to today everyone would like to have the biggest house possible (the best scenario would be living in a little palace), at least two cars and all other fancy things. Money is something that could make me an "important" person among my friends. However personally I do not belive in that at all. Even if I spend with these people so much time their idea of life does not convince me. I believe in completely different values. I want to be a good person and well educated.

1 comment:

  1. Interesting post! What do you think it is that money is more central in New York City than in your old community?

    ReplyDelete